About Us

There has been a church in Blundeston village since St. Fursey, an Irish Missionary, first preached Christianity in this area in the 7th century.

Nothing remains of the original church, but in c988 the present round tower was constructed. About a century later a stone church was built on to the tower, of which the doorway and font remain. The font was originally square, however the corners were cut off in the 15th century in line with the prevailing octagonal style.

A larger building replaced the Norman church in the 14th century. The nave of this is still intact, however it has since been enriched with 15th century woodwork and window tracery. The Rood screen dates from 1490, and is decorated with Angels of the Passion at the base.

In 1705, the Church of St Andrew in the neighbouring village of Flixton was destroyed in a gale. It was never repaired, and the ruins can still be seen today. Therefore, in 1724 the two parishes were joined into one, officially called St. Mary the Virgin, Blundeston, with St. Andrew, Flixton, with of course only the one Rector as you can see from the list in the next column. The original font from Flixton now stands in St. Mary's churchyard, and there is an altar dedicated to St. Andrew inside the church.

The pews, all in oak, date from the 1850's when the church was extensively restored, and are a rare example of Victorians being sensitive to medieval work, as they fitted them to the surviving 14th century poppy heads nearest the wall. The ceiling is an example of late Victorian barrel-vault, which rests on 14th century corbels in the form of kings and queens.

Today, the Church of England parish of Blundeston with Flixton shares a rector with members of the Somerleyton Group of Parishes, Somerleyton, Ashby, Fritton, Herringfleet and Lound. 

(picture copyright suffolkchurches.co.uk)

 

The following list is of the rectors of the Churches of Saint Mary the Virgin Blundeston and Saint Andrews' Flixton

Blundeston  Flixton
1312 - Adam Bacon 1308 - Roger Man
1318 - Osbert de Keteringham 1349 - Rodge Launeye
1349 - Thomas de Blundeston 1349 - Walter Lamok
1361 - Thomas de Fereby 1351 - John de Blicling
1362 - Geoffery de Horningtoft 1375 - John Atte Medew de Finborough
1386 - Nicholas Stoke 1380 - John de Donkeerstre
1398 - John Bromley 1384 - Peter Cuttying
1400 - William Evenwode 1404 - Michael de Barsham
1428 - John Cok 1441 - Henry Skeet
1454 - Hugo Acton 1473 - John Elnysh
1454 - Roger Berton 1476 - John Squryer
1460 - Richard Appulby 1492 - Nicholas Goldwell
1465 - John Cokket 1506 - Miles Kerrich
1465 - William Suthworth 1511 - John Fale
1484 - Edward Suthworth 1524 - Richard Jacson
1487 - Miles Kerriche 1537 - William Ugge alias Hornyng
1511 - Thomas Alyn 1557 - William Stephens
1528 - Cuthbert Sherbrooke 1558 - Francis Yaxley
1530 - John Dawes 1563 - John Thurston
1541 - William Page 1583 - Thomas Wood
1541 - Robert Gray  1602 - Clement Bacon
1553 - Edward Ward 1618 - William Castleton
1553 - Richard Fletcher 1623 - Anthony Wilkinson
1561 - Anthony Whight 1633 - Spencer Fell
1587 - Robert Belye 1635 - James Aldrich
1600 - John Underwood 1664 - Daniel Burton
1625 - James Robinson 1669 - Robert Hobson
1643 - Clement Kitchingham 1681 - James Smyth
1663 - John Lee 1703 - Thomas Skeet
1669 - Robert Snelling  The Parish of Saint Andrew
1690 - Francis Langley  amalgamated with Saint Mary the
1692 - Christopher Eachard  Virgin  from this point.
1707 - Gregory Clarke  
1726 - Robert Baldwin  
1729 - John Bacon  
1733 - Ashurst Allin  
1770 - John Love  
1817 - Edward Love  
1865 - Robert W. Cory  
1882 - Robert G. Cory  
1925 - Clement Bean  
1935 - Bertram Godfrey  
1945 - Cyril Hubbins  
1976 - Michael Burlton  
1983 - John Michael Mountney  
1989 - John Hunt  
1994 - Johnathan Riviere  
2004 - Roger Kent  

2009 - Leslie Hobbs

 

2013 - David Boddy

2017 - Glen Brooks

Read about the David Copperfield connection

A story that traces the childhood
life of David Copperfield...
Read More

See our annual Flower Festival & Teddy Bear jump in pictures

See the pictures from our last Flower Festival and Teddy Bear jump from the church tower...
Read More

Details of regular and
upcoming events

All the latest from your community church...
Read More